“A fine head of hair adds beauty to a good face.”
We just love going to the salon and and get our hair done every now and then. Of course, every once in awhile we need to indulge but when we indulge, we forget about our poor hair. Our hair can also have a bad temper so be very careful of the things you do to your hair. One of the many problems that we face is dry hair but this can also lead to
hair loss and dandruff. Ever wondered what causes these? Well, There are a million of ways that we can damage our hair: illness or nutritional deficiencies, use of harsh hair products, excessively washing your hair, exposure to chlorinated water, and frequent use of heated styling tools or hair dye.
There are plenty of ways to restore your luscious locks; like eating a healthy diet, using quality hair product meant for your hair type and using some over-the-counter conditioners can prevent it from drying out. But what if you don’t have the budget to have the treatments needed to treat your damage hair? Well, you’re in luck because there are many simple home remedies that can help treat dry hair and restore its health and shine. And in this article I’ll be providing my top 5 home remedies that totally saved me and my hair. So, ready to have your hair rejuvenated?
- OLIVE OIL (vitamin E & antioxidant)
Yes, olive oil has a lot of benefits – even for your hair! Plus, it is the most popular home remedy for dry hair.
- Put enough olive oil for the length of your hair in a cup or bowl and slightly warm it in a microwave.
- Apply the warm oil thoroughly over your scalp and hair shafts. Massage your scalp gently for five to 10 minutes.
- Cover your hair with a warm towel and leave the oil on overnight, or at least for 30 minutes.
- Finally, shampoo and condition your hair with products suited to your hair type.
- Do this at least once a week to give your hair much-needed nourishment and care.
Note: If olive oil isn’t present in your household then you can also use coconut oil for this hot oil treatment.
2. MAYONNAISE (protein)
Not only good for sandwiches, but also great for your dry hair. The protein present in a mayonnaise can make your hair soft and shiny.
- Measure out one cup of full-fat mayonnaise. Apply a thick layer of it on slightly damp hair and scalp.
- Massage the mayonnaise into your scalp and then work it through your hair to the ends.
- Cover your hair and head with a plastic cap for about an hour.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with lukewarm water and then shampoo as usual.
- Repeat weekly to hydrate very dry hair.
3. EGGS (protein & lecithin)
Baking, cooking and… hair treatment? Yes, eggs are great for dry and damaged hair. Because it is a good source of protein and lecithin, it helps strengthen and repair damaged and lifeless hair by adding moisture, shine, and texture to it.
- Whip an egg white thoroughly along with two tablespoons of lukewarm water. Apply the mixture to your damp hair and scalp and massage with your fingertips in a circular motion for 15 minutes. Then shampoo your hair with cool water. Do this once or twice a week, depending on the condition of your hair.
- Mix together three eggs, two tablespoons of olive oil and one tablespoon of honey. Apply this mixture to damp hair and scalp. Cover your head with a shower cap for about 30 minutes, and then wash your hair with a mild shampoo and cool water. Do this once a week to make your hair soft and silky.
4. BEER (protein)
Bottoms up! Wait, what? Yes, you heard me right, beer is a great hair conditioner. Funny as it sounds, it really is effective since it contains proteins that helps repair damaged hair cuticles and nourish hair follicles, which in turn makes your hair shiny and smooth.
- Shampoo your hair as usual and then spray a small amount of beer onto your hair. Allow your hair to dry on its own. When it is dry, your hair will look smooth and shiny.
- You can also spray beer onto your hair before blow drying or styling your hair.
Note: Don’t worry, the smell of beer will not remain on your hair if you let your hair dry naturally.
And for the fifth is…
5. AVOCADO (saturated fats, vitamins A and E, protein and various other minerals)
Avocados are packed with vitamins and minerals so its very beneficial for the body as well as for the hair. Avocado also helps add moisture to dry hair shafts and strengthen your hair.
- Mash one ripe, peeled avocado. Mix in one teaspoon each of wheat-germ oil and jojoba oil to make a smooth paste. Apply the mixture on freshly washed hair, from the roots to the ends. Cover your hair with a shower cap. Leave it on for half an hour and then shampoo your hair with lukewarm water. Follow this remedy once or twice a week.
- Mash a ripe, peeled avocado and add two tablespoons of olive oil to it. Mix well until the consistency is thick and smooth. Shampoo and rinse your hair. Apply the mixture to your hair and leave it on for 30 minutes. Finally, rinse your hair. Do this once a week.
These are some few ways to treat your dry and damaged hair. You can try these home remedies to combat dry and lifeless hair. Consult a physician if your hair’s condition does not improve after a few weeks.