This recipe for Mac and Cheese with Sausage and Peas is an easy, kid-friendly dinner idea for a busy night and the leftovers work well for lunch!
Here’s what I’d recommend instead:
- Choose whole wheat pasta to help get your daily servings of whole grains.
- Be aware of portion size. A serving of cooked pasta is about the size of your fist and typically has 7g of protein and 200 calories per serving.
- Add veggies and protein to bulk it up. By doing this, you can enjoy a nutrient-rich dish that’s healthy, filling and full of flavor!
- 6 oz pasta, uncooked
- 1.5 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cup peas, frozen or canned
- 3 chicken sausages (precooked)
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- 6 oz cheddar cheese, grated
- ¾ cup milk (I used skim)
- ½ – 1 cup pumpkin
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- In the same (now empty) pan, melt butter.
- Add onion, garlic, peas and sausage and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add flour, milk and seasonings and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and ½ cup pumpkin.
- Stir in noodles.
- Taste, adjust seasonings and add more pumpkin if desired.
Now don’t go freaking out because there’s pumpkin in there. It is optional, but I’d highly recommend adding at least 1/ 2 cup. I’d wager you won’t even know it’s in there. So start with 1/2 cup and then add more if you want. You can also make it extra spicy!
Another note- you’re more than welcome to cook the pasta in one pan and start on step two in another pan while the noodles are cooking. This will save time. It will also dirty another pan. Your call.